February 18, 2019
Dental implants in Reston enjoy a remarkably high success rate. Like any form of medical treatment however, they can fail on rare occasions. When this happens, one reason may be that the person is suffering from some degree of dental misalignment. Fortunately, modern dentistry has a number of ways to correct misaligned teeth.
Why Misaligned Teeth are Cause for Concern
Anyone who has ever owned an automobile knows how important it is to keep the suspension system properly aligned. Otherwise the tires will develop abnormal wear patterns leading to premature failure. Not only that, but the safety of the vehicle itself will be compromised.
The same principle is just as true of your teeth. They’re meant to function as a correctly aligned system. When this is not the case, problems can build up over time. When the person has dental implants, the consequences can include implant failure, since implants are an integral part of the patient’s oral profile.
How Your Dentist Can Help
The good news is that both dental misalignment and implant failure are treatable conditions. Here are some ways a dentist can help:
- By providing a formal diagnosis. The first step to solving a problem is confirming that it exists. Sometimes what appears to be misaligned teeth may actually suggest a different condition. Only an expert can say for sure.
- By prescribing a solution. One of the most effective ways to treat dental misalignment is with the Six Month Smiles program. It offers a revolutionary approach that avoids both the aesthetic concerns of traditional braces and the expense of Invisalign.
- By restoring a failed or failing implant. Sometimes the results of misaligned teeth can include implant failure. In such cases, the implant can often be restored. This may involve use of antibiotics, bone grafts, or simply replacing the failed implant with a new one.
The Best Cure is Prevention
Most cases of implant failure yield to prompt treatment. Still, the best way to deal with the problem is to keep it from occurring in the first place. With that in mind, here are some tips for enjoying long-term success with your implants:
- Follow your dentist’s care recommendations to the letter. Dental implants rely on your overall oral health in order to stay strong. This in turns means brushing, flossing, eating a nutritious diet, and avoiding tobacco and illicit drugs.
- See your dentist for recommended exams. A regular dental visit every six months is the rule of thumb for most patients. Your dentist may recommend more frequent appointments if you are at special risk for cavities or other problems.
- Pay attention to what your teeth are telling you. It may be tempting to put off a trip to your dentist when you’re busy, even if you’re suffering from significant discomfort. It’s important to resist this temptation if you want to enjoy healthy teeth and gums over the long term. This is true whether you have dental implants or not.
It’s important to address any concerns you may have about this important topic to your implant dentist in Reston. There’s nothing like a little knowledge to make a big difference in your smile.
About the Author
Dr. Wayne Myles has been practicing dentistry for almost 30 years. A skilled implant dentist, he devotes considerable time to keeping his skills sharp through investing in ongoing training. You can reach his office online or by calling (703) 925-0800.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.