May 10, 2019
If the thought of visiting your dentist for care causes anxiety or dental phobia, then you’re not alone, as over 30 million people suffer from the same problem. Still, you understand the importance of receiving the vital care you need. Sedation dentistry provides the avenue for that to happen, but before committing to it, you’d like to know if your sedation dentist in Reston will put you to sleep. Read on to find out so you don’t miss out on any critical dental care!
What’s the Purpose of Sedation Dentistry?
The main focus of sedation dentistry is relaxation and to allow for a comfortable and carefree dental experience. Unlike general anesthesia, its intent is not to induce sleep. Instead, sedation dentistry helps people overcome severe anxiety, fear, their gag reflex, an inability to feel numb or other comfortability issues.
That doesn’t mean there’s no chance of falling asleep, though. Once patients are completely relaxed, it’s not uncommon for them to drift into a light stage of slumber.
How Oral Conscious Sedation Works
One of the more popular forms of sedation dentistry now used is the oral conscious method, which is delivered in pill form. It provides an excellent way to conquer dental fear, and here’s what you need to know about it:
- Your dentist will either instruct you to take the pill before you leave home, or it will be given to you when you arrive for care.
- You should have someone drive you to and from your appointment because the medication will cause grogginess, and it will take hours after your procedure has concluded for the effects to wear-off.
- If you wear contact lenses, you should remove them before arriving for care because there is still a chance that you may fall asleep.
- You should avoid strenuous activities after your dental procedure is done, again, because you will not be completely coherent. Thus, you could place yourself and others in danger.
- You may not have any recollection of what transpired while under the influence of the medication.
The Importance of Seeking Help
If you have apprehensions about receiving dental care that have hindered you, then it’s important to bring it to your dentist’s attention when you visit for a consultation. If fear of the dentist has prevented you from scheduling visits in the past, contact a sedation dentist and ask about your options.
Thus, you can finally overcome dental anxiety in Reston so you can receive the vital care you’ve been missing. Not only will this fortify your oral and overall health, but it will also save you money by preventing the need for more complex forms of care down the road.
To get the process started, reach out to schedule a visit today!
About the Author
For nearly 30 years, Dr. Wayne Myles has been focused on providing the absolute best in dental care, which includes making sure his patients are as comfortable as possible. Thus, the Georgetown Dental School graduate provides oral conscious sedation when it’s needed. To stay abreast of any new changes or developments in dentistry, Dr. Myles maintains professional membership with the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation. He helps patients overcome their dental worries at Smiles by Myles, and he can be reached for more information through his website.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.